Bangladesh Premiere League, BPL players auction will be a private auction to be conducted under the rules outlined below. An independent professional auctioneer will conduct the Auction and he will be the sole arbiter as to all aspects of the Auction.
BPL Logistics Rules for Auction
- The BPL Players Auction will take place at the Ballroom of the Radisson Water Garden Hotel, Dhaka all in the course of one day (Thursday, 19 January 2012). The Auction will commence at 11am.
- Each Franchise will have a table in the room and a maximum of six (06) members of each franchisee will be allowed to seat in the auction table without any change of member at any point of time.
- Channel 9 have exclusive broadcast rights of the BPL Players Auction and will release edited highlights to the media for breaking news at the end of each segment of the Auction.
- No other media (print & electronic) will have access to the Auction room.
- No communication devices (mobile phones, blackberries, external communications devices, WIFI devices) are allowed inside the Auction room during the Auction. No one will be allowed to communicate with persons outside the room until the end of the Auction.
BPL: Format of the BPL Players Auction
- It will be an open auction with each player being individually presented for bidding. The highest bidder accepted by the auctioneer shall be the buyer of the player.
- Each player has a base price at which the bidding will commence. The price is based on the assumption that the player is available for the entire BPL season 2012.
- Each Franchise can spend a maximum of US$ two million at the Auction. Franchises will not be able to make a bid for a player if the price exceeds the spending limit.
- Each player will have a ‘percentage availability’ based on his expected (as on the date of the Auction) availability for the 2012 BPL season. The figure that is bid for the player multiplied by his ‘percentage availability’ will be the amount that is deducted from the total budget available to the Franchise for spending.
For example, if a player has fetched US$ 400,000 in the auction but is only expected to be available for 50 percent of the matches in the 2012 season, then he will receive a 2012 ‘percentage availability player fee’ of US$ 200,000. The franchise buying the player will have US$ 200,000 deducted from its US$ 2 million budget and the amount will go the BPL Governing Council.
- Players in the Auction will be arranged into sets of 12 according to their base price, playing style and speciality and availability for the 2012 BPL season.
- Franchises will be issued with a list of the players in advance and the composition of the sets and the order in which the sets will be auctioned. For each player, the following information will be included: Name, nationality, speciality, base fee, and expected ‘percentage availability for the 2012 BPL season. BPL reserves the right to update the list until the start of the Auction if information, especially in relation to expected percentage availability changes.
- Within the sets the order in which players will be presented for Auction will be determined by a random draw that will take place in the Auction room.
- Once made, no bid may be withdrawn.
- Bidding increments will be as follows:
- BPL Category A players – increments of US$ 15000.00
- BPL Category B players – increments of US$ 10000.00
- BPL Category C players – increments of US$ 5000.00
- For bids in excess of US$ 500,000, increments will be at the auctioneer’s discretion.
- The decision as to when a player has been sold will be made at the sole discretion of the auctioneer.
- Any dispute about a bid shall be settled at the auctioneer’s absolute discretion. The auctioneer shall act reasonably in exercising this discretion. The independent auctioneer will be the sole arbiter as to the conduct of the auction.
- Following the conclusion of each set, there will be a break (of 15 minutes) to allow Franchises time to re-evaluate their tactics.
- Players for whom no bids are received when they are initially presented for Auction will be placed in a final set and will be again presented once all the initial sets have been completed.
- Franchises have to buy all players through Auction only. After the Auction, Franchises are not allowed to purchase additional foreign players. The final version of the Player contract will be circulated before the start of the Auction. The contract will be for a one-year term.
- Each squad of BPL can register a maximum of 18 players.
- A BPL team may sign a maximum of eight (08) available foreign players. It is mandatory to pick at least one player from an associate member country.
- Each BPL team can field a maximum of five (05) foreign players in the playing XI for each match.